Each year since 1991 Varuna has offered at least 25 Residential Fellowships for Writing Retreats. Over this time Varuna has developed a unique environment that encourages sustained work, conversation and community among writers. Varuna Fellowships for Writing Retreats offer writers a residency in an environment wholly dedicated to writing, with accommodation and full board provided, to develop an established writing or illustration project. Residential Fellowships are available to be taken between January and May each year.
The flagship fellowships are:
- Eleanor Dark Fellowship - Fiction: Established in memory of Blue Mountains writer Eleanor Dark, this writing fellowship will be awarded to a fiction application of outstanding quality.
- Eric Dark Fellowship - Non-fiction: Established in memory of Blue Mountains writer and social activist Eric Dark, this writing fellowship will be awarded for a non-fiction application of outstanding quality in social, historical or political writing.
- Dorothy Hewett Fellowship - Poetry: Established in memory of Blue Mountains resident and poet, Dorothy Hewett, this fellowship will be awarded for a poetry application of outstanding quality.
- The Mick Dark Fellowship: for Environmental Writing.
- The Henry Handel Richardson Fellowship - Short Story Writing offered in partnership with the Henry Handel Richardson Society we established the award to promote the life and legacy of Henry Handel Richardson as a significant Australian author and to encourage excellence in Australian short story writing. This award will be offered every second year commencing with the 2017 Fellowship program.
- Second Book Fellowships are awarded to writers working towards completing their second published manuscript.
If interested or seeking further information about eligibility, selection criteria, important dates and costs, please visit the website here.