The EJ Brady short story competition is contested throughout Australia and beyond.
All entries must be works of fiction. There is no set themes and stories may be written in any genre in adult or young adult literature. There is no geographical restriction on entry.
Prizes are as follows:
- The Mallacoota Arts Council is pleased to provide a prize of $2000 for the winning story in the major short story category, the 'Mallacoota Prize' for stories up to 2500 words with the runner up receiving $300.
- The very short story category the 'Gabo Prize' has a first prize of $500.
- A new category the 'Betka Prize' has been introduced in 2016-17 providing a $500 prize for the best humorous short story.
- The judges are also able to make an encouragement award of $100 to an entrant who has not previously been paid for a published story.
The word limits for each prize are very strict and the judges reserve the right to reject work exceeding these limits. The word limits are as follows:
- Mallacoota Prize: 2500 words
- Gabo Prize: 700 words
- Betka Prize: 1000 words
For full details and links to the online and postal submission forms, please visit the link here.