Australian Theatre for Young People (ATYP) is very proud to announce the call for applications for the ATYP Foundation Commissions. These two commissions, one for 10-13 year old performers and one for 14-17 year old performers, are awarded each year to playwrights of any age. Both plays are published by ATYP's partners Playlab and will be produced as part of ATYP's mainstage season.
ATYP are looking for two ideas that embrace the age of the performers and give young actors something substantial to sink their teeth into. Together, these commissions provide an unparalleled opportunity, developing a canon of sophisticated works for young actors that are performed in theatres and schools around the country for many years to come.
The finer details of the commissions are:
- The 10-13 year old commission offers a successful playwright or writing team $10,000 to develop a 45 – 55 minute script suitable to be performed by actors aged between 10 and 13 in ATYP's 2018 season.
- The 14-17 year old commission offers a successful playwright or writing team $14,000 to develop a 70-90 minute script suitable to be performed by actors aged between 14 and 17 in ATYP's 2019 season.
In addition to the commissioning fee the winning applicant will receive:
- Expenses to travel to Sydney to workshop the script during development;
- Confirmation that the resulting script will be programmed as part of Australian Theatre for Young People’s 2018 or 2019 season;
- Expenses to travel to Sydney to attend the first performance; and
- Confirmation that the script will be published by Playlab so that it can be performed by schools and youth theatres around the country for years to come.
Note: Applications will be accepted from playwrights of all ages and levels of experience. You may apply for one commission or both although a separate application is required for each commission.
For full details on how to apply, visit the ATYP website here.
Applications will close at 9am Monday 15 May 2017.